Sometimes, things just don’t go your way. I don’t know how else to put it. I could try to sound poetic and lovely and make things not going your way sound almost… beautiful. But it simply isn’t the truth and the truth is that it sucks. There, I said it. It sucks. I’ll let you in on a little secret though, you just have to get over it. Now I’m not going to tell you to “get over it” and leave it at that. I’m going to help you! That’s what I’m here for right?! Sometimes life throws mud and rocks and spiders in our path and we just have to walk right over it and keep going.
Here’s 7 things to try when you’ve found yourself in a rut. Self pity is a natural defense but NOT the way we should approach our problems. I have found the activities on this list to be the best way to reconnect with the positive vibes around you and “get over it”. My challenge, don’t mope until you’ve tried all 7, in no particular order; you might just be surprised at how little you will be moping.
- Get up and exercise! Yeah yeah, it’s not my favorite thing to do either but the fact of the matter is, exercising releases endorphin and those endorphin will make you feel a tad bit better.
- Listen to upbeat, in your face music for five minutes. That’s like two songs! EASY! Everyone has a couple songs that they can’t help but sing along to and always feel pumped after. Music is a wondrous thing, just be aware of how you are using it.
- Head to lunch with a friend. Have you every noticed that when you are out enjoying a meal with a friend, you forget about everything else? Hell, I can’t even remember to text my husband back when I’m out to lunch! Just make a mental note- no gabbing about the negative!
- Read a book. Or even just the first few chapters! Books are just like going to lunch in the way that they clear your brain, your sole focus is on the words between those covers.
- Clean out your closet. In my post, Embracing Minimalism Slowly but Surely I talked about how freeing that can be. In the same sense, it can help you feel just a bit better as well. It helps you feel in control, organized, and level-headed. This is something I recommend that everyone does regularly! If you shop often, every six months, if not, yearly.
- Write a thank-you card. Not a quick, generic thank-you card, but something heartfelt. Tell that person how much you love them and why. Tell them every single reason you are thankful for them. Humans, we are selfish creatures, but by moving your focus elsewhere you are now thinking of others and basking in positive light.
- Last but not least, get off social media and get outside! Sure, this doesn’t have to be done together but they go hand in hand. Even if unintentional, we compare when we are on social media. Don’t get me wrong, I love social media (love love love), but we all need a detox once in a while. Weekly, daily even if you’re brave enough. An hour or two to not peer into the lives of others and to instead, invest in your own. I’ll be the first to tell you that connecting with the energy of the earth can do wonders for your mood. Sit outside for a minute, alone if you can, and soak up those rays.
What do you do to “get over it”? Feel free to add it to the list!