If you’re anything like I was not too long ago (and even sometimes now if I’m being honest), you want to live a healthier, happier, more holistic lifestyle but it seems like a lot of work.
Mainstream media & knowledge teaches us a quick way of living but that often means sacrificing health. Better options for food and lifestyle products seem so out of reach.
But.. what if I let you in on a little secret? What if health was only as hard as you made it out to be?
With a health movement sweeping the world that I do not believe is a trend, with nutritionists and holistic enthusiasts right at your finger tips, is it really as hard as we are trying to say it is?
Today I am sharing a few easy and accessible food switches you can make towards living a healthy, holistic lifestyle going a step further than buying organic. So without further ado, here are a few small switches you can make, keep in mind there are many things you can do to live a healthier life, but I thought these would make for a great start.
- Switch out sugar for molasses or coconut sugar
- Instead of buying granola (which is packed with sugar), make your own with hemp seeds and grounded dried nuts.
- Cook with coconut oil or avocado oil instead of vegetable oil (it will taste better too!)
- Switch out iceberg lettuce (mainly water) for dark leafy greens like spinach (packed w. nutrients)
- Buy almond, coconut or cashew milk instead of cows milk.
- This may be a no brainer, but make your meal instead of buying it. This way you know what is inside, you can control the ingredients.
- If you can purchase something fresh instead of canned, do it, you’re skipping the preservatives and other additive junk. It is the time of year for farmer’s markets!
- Buy your rice & beans “fresh” (not packaged or canned) as well.
- And lastly, to piggy back on the last one, stay away from packaged flour, buy your grains whole & grind them as needed.
If you’d like to see more “alternatives” posts whether it be food or other lifestyle products comment below or submit a contact form, I always love to hear what you like to see best on here!
Remember once again: health is simple, it is only complicated when you make it out to be. Long term your mind and body will thank you. For me, starting small has always been key so do not discount your journey because you are not moving as far as you want as quickly as you hoped. They always say, slow & steady wins the race.